Urban Forestry LLC has the knowledge and skills to provide dependable and prompt service. You can rely on Urban Forestry to deliver the finest in urban and community forestry management services.
Christopher J. Luley, Ph.D joined Urban Forestry LLC in the fall of 2004. He brings a wide scope of technical expertise and experience in urban forest management and research, advanced diagnostics and pest management, training and education, tree risk assessment and treatments for use in advanced plant health care.
Prior to joining Urban Forestry, Dr. Luley was a technical advisor and urban forestry consultant for 14 years with two major northeast tree care and consulting companies. He also was State Forest Pathologist for Missouri and managed the Plant Diagnostic Clinic for Iowa State University. His graduate degrees are in forest pathology from SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry at Syracuse and Iowa State University.
Dr. Luley has published over 50 technical articles and given presentations on a wide range of urban forestry and pathology topics. He recently received the R. W. Harris Author's Award from the International Society of Arboriculture in 2015. He has been the principal investigator or project manager for a number of large urban forest management projects such as:
- Project Manager and Quality Control Manager for the Asian Longhorned Beetle Eradication Program in New York City in 2002 and 2004
- Investigation of root damage and linden mortality at the Statue of Liberty National Park
- Quality Control Manager at the United States Capitol Visitor Center Construction Project
- Principal Investigator of the Impact of Pruning on Branch Failures in the City of Rochester, NY
- Investigation of the Potential to Integrate Urban Forest Management into Federal Programs to Reduce Ground Level Ozone in New York City.
- Development of a Storm Damage Assessment Protocol for the USDA Forest Service
- Project Manager for the preservation of the 300 year-old Balmville tree
- International Tree Failure Database Implementation Plan
Awards and Memberships:
- R. W. Harris Author's Award from the International Society of Arboriculture in 2015.
- American Phytopathological Society (since 1980)
- Certified Plant Pathologist (Program ended in 2003)
- International Society of Arboriculture
- Society of Municipal Arborists
- New York State Arborists, ISA Chapter
- American Society of Consulting Arborists
- New York State Urban and Community Forestry Council
- Member and Former Chair, Western New York ReLeaf
- Scholar of the Year 2003, New York State Arborists
- Jim Wilmont Excellence in Teaching Award,
Rochester Landscape Technicians Program
- Research Excellence Award, 1986, Iowa State University