Urban Forestry LLC has provided presentations on a wide range of urban forestry topics and to many different audiences. Our presentations range from one-hour lectures, to outside demonstrations, to all-day workshops. Below is a selected list of recent topics and audiences.
These presentations can be modified to fit your needs and context; if you are interested in having one of them presented for an occasion, please contact the author. We also can develop a new presentation in related areas, though that requires quite a bit more time (actual amount depends on the topic)--again, contact one of us if you are interested in this service.
Selected Presentations by Andrew G. Pleninger
Tree Risk Assessment
- Tree Risk Assessment. 2009, 2010. UFLLC Tree School, Canandaigua/Batavia, NY
- Tree Defects, 2006, New York State Arborists
- Tree Risk Assessment, 2005 Gardenscape Professionals Association Winter Education Day
- Tree Pruning & Tree Risk Assessment, 2005-07, Dutchess County Cooperative Extension Certified Arborist Training
- Tree Risk Assessment, 1997 New York ReLeaf Conference
- Proper Tree Pruning Practices. 1997. Genesee Valley Recreation and Park Society.
- Proper Tree Maintenance, 1994, New York Releaf Workshop
- Tree Selection, 2004, New York Releaf Workshop.
Tree Inventory and Management
- Urban Forestry Management Plans. 2007. NYS ReLeaf Conference, Saratoga
- Tree Inventories and Management Plans. 2006. NYS Department of Environmental Conservation Tree City Awards Recognition Ceremony, Albany, NY
- Urban Forest Management Needs Survey of Municipalities in New York State, 2004 New York Releaf Conference,
- ANSI Standards Panel Discussion, 2004, New York State Arborists.
- Urban Forest Management Needs Survey of Municipalities in New York State, 2004, New York State Arborists
- Spanning the Centuries in Urban Forestry, Master Plans: What are they Good For? 2001 New York Releaf Conference Rochester, NY
- Spanning the Centuries in Urban Forestry, Public Relations: Whose Forest is it Anyway?, 2001 New York Releaf Conference
- Development of an Urban Forestry Master Plan. 1999 New York ReLeaf Conference
- City in a Forest, Rochester's Urban Forestry, Master Plan.
1999, New York State Arborists
- City in a Forest, Rochester's Urban Forestry Master Plan. 1999, NYS Private Forest Owners Association Annual Conference.
- Ice Storm, Responding to Disaster, 1991, New York Releaf Workshop
- Integrating Diversity in a Street Tree Planting Plan, New York ReLeaf Conference, 1998
Storm Damage Response and Restoration
- Storm Damage-Pruning vs. Removal. 2007. NYS Green Industry Conference,
- Urban Reforestation After Major Ice Storm, 1998, Ontario Shade Tree Conference &
- Managing an Urban Forest Restoration, The City of Rochester Experience.
1999, Syracuse ESF, College of Environmental Science and Forestry, Undergraduate Urban Forestry Course Lecture.
- Crown Loss Evaluation of Storm Damaged Trees 1999 New York ReLeaf Conference
- Storm Damage Assessment Protocol, 2000, Maine Arborists Association
- Information Needs of the Urban Forester, Large City Perspective.
2004, New York ReLeaf Conference
Selected Presentations by Christopher J. Luley, Ph.D.
Advanced Tree Health Care
Storm Damage Assessment Protocol
- Diagnostics and plant health care. Tree Care Industry Association, 2009.
- Iowa Shade Tree Short Course, 2006
- Florida Chapter International Society of Arboriculture, 2005 and 2006
- Missouri Department of Conservation, 2003
- Texas and Arkansas Forest Service, 2002
Tree Risk Assessment and Wood Decay Fungi
- What is risk? Kansas Arborist Association, Jan 2010
- Wood decay fungi. Michigan Green Industry Association, 2010.
- New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, 2006
- SUNY-ESF College of Environmental Science and Forestry, 2003-2006
- Cornell Cooperative Extension, 2006
- Western Chapter, International Society of Arboriculture, 2006
- Wisconsin Chapter International Society of Arboriculture, 2006
- Westchester Urban Forestry Conference, 2006
- International Society of Arboriculture, Annual Meeting, 2005
- New York State Arborists, 2005
- Kentucky Arborist Association, 2005
- Iowa Shade Tree Short Course, 2005 and 2006
- Connecticut Tree Protective Association, 2005
- New York State Arborist Annual Meeting, 2003.
- Pennsylvania Turf Grass Association, 2003
- New York ReLeaf, 2001
- Maryland Arborist Association, 2001
- Cornell Cooperative Extension Monroe County 1999, 2000
- New England Grows, 1999
Effect of Wind Gusts and Pruning on Tree Branch Failures
- Society of Municipal Arborists Annual Meeting, 2002
- Iowa Shade Tree Short Course, 2003
- Westchester Urban and Community Forestry Workshop, 2002
- Tree Structure and Mechanics Conference, 2001
- New York Releaf Annual Conference, 2001
Tree Inventory and Management
- Palm Pilot Data Collection, University of Maryland, Entomology Department, 2003
- Tree Biology and Inventory Methods, Univ. of Puerto Rico, Department of Horticulture, 2001.
- Tree Inventory and Management Planning, USDA Forest Service, International Tropical Forestry Institute, 2000.
- Tree Assessment Techniques, Caribbean Urban Forestry Conference, 2000
Other Urban Forestry and Arboricultural Topics
- Tree Diversity in Urban Forests, Florida Chapter International Society of Arboriculture, 2005
- Tree Management for Parks and Golf Courses, Cornell Cooperative Extension, Erie Co., 2004 and 2005
- Being An Expert Witness, Connecticut Tree Wardens Association, 2005
- Management of Asian Longhorned Beetle in NYC, PA Arborist Association, 2003
- Introduction to Woody Plant Pest Management, Rochester Landscape
- Technician Program, 2000-2006
- New Topics in Arboriculture, Long Island Arborist, 2003
- Tree Preservation at the U.S. Capitol and Statue of Liberty, PA Urban and Community Forestry Conference, 2003.